More children around the world are receiving chiropractic care. Some parents swear by chiropractic. If their baby had difficulty feeding and latching, if their kids had sleep disturbances, tummy upsets (like reflux), headaches, ear infections or asthma they'd send their kids straight to the chiropractor.
It is important to understand that Doctors of Chiropractic do not 'treat' these conditions or infections. A chiropractor's expertise is in checking the child’s spine for problems (subluxations) that impair nerve system function. The bones of the skull and spine serve to protect the brain and spinal cord. The spinal cord connects the brain to the entire body and back to the brain again. I call this the Brain-Body Connection.
Subluxations of the skull or spinal bones, like mis-alignments and restrictions disrupt the nerve flow which can affect the body's overall function. Any aspect of health may be impaired by nerve interference since all body systems (circulatory, respiratory, digestive, hormonal, eliminative and immune system) need connectivity to the brain.
Why Should Children Have Chiropractic Care?
Developing spines are susceptible to trauma from many childhood activities and games. These microtraumas can result in pressure on the spinal bones and nerves. What's worse is it may not be detected as pain or malfunction for years.
When Should Children See a Chiropractor?
- After birth: There are significant stressors and potential trauma during the birth process, even for natural births. Remember these are newborns, who have never experienced any stress before that suddenly get pushed and pulled.
- Learning to crawl & walk: Knocks, bumps and falls are aplenty during this time. "Kids can bounce" but resetting their body after each knock is important for long term health.
- Go to school: School bags, new challenges (mental and emotional stress) and prolonged sitting posture can quickly ruin necks and backs. These days, younger people are feeling headaches, neck aches and back pains - all of which can be avoided.
- Starting Sports & Activities: New sports and activities like riding bicycles can quickly throw the body off. Since chiropractic adjustments improves the Brain-Body Connection, they can help facilitate the learning and development of new skills.
- Using tech: This generation is born into the tech world. Gadgets are inevitable. The problem is, smartphones, tablets & laptops are the leading cause of bad posture, headaches, as well as neck, shoulder and hand pain. (Prolonged sitting causes even more health problems!)
- Teenage growth spurts: A essential milestone to check on their posture and watch out for potential scoliosis.
How do we go about seeing a Chiropractor in Singapore?
Mention this blog post to get your child's first check up for only $50 (Save $80). We want to give you the opportunity to find out how chiropractic can benefit your family and discuss your individual needs. Of course, if you or your child has any pain or injuries, we can also help treat them.